When regarding the use of fertility services for same-sex couples, the chance of success is usually quite high, since the couple does not struggle with medical infertility as such. With that said, however, one can still have an underlying indication for infertility treatment that would have gone by without notice due to the nature of the same sex relationship. Regardless of the situation, we can assist with social infertility or a combination of social and medical.
In the initial stages, comprehensive fertility assessments need to be done to help determine an optimal treatment route, along with applying for a donor and/or surrogacy.
We recommend the following process for same sex couples wishing to make use of fertility treatment to start their family:
1) To see one of our fertility specialists (make an appointment here!)
2) Get all the relevant tests and procedures done that the fertility specialist has recommended and needs in order to make an informed decision
3) A decision is made regarding the treatment option
4) The search can begin for a donor and/or surrogate
5) A decision is made on the donor and/or surrogate
6) Final check to make sure all paper work and legalities are in order
7) The treatment cycle can begin
We can assist couples in various ways, however, treatment options vary slightly depending on whether you are a male or female same sex couple. For female couples, treatment is centred around using donor sperm; while for male couples an egg donor and a surrogate is required. All treatment options are based on these requirements for male and female couples, and variations come in the form of additional treatments that are added where needed.
As a female same sex couple you have the following treatment options: (maybe make these into infographics?)
As a male same sex couple you have the following treatment options: (maybe also make these into infographics?)
You can also make use of, along with a surrogate, donor embryo(s)
If you are within a same sex relationship/partnership/civil union/marriage and want to start a family via the use of fertility treatment.
The following examples of couples will generally need a selection of, or all of the following options:
Same sex male couple:
Same sex female couples: